Courtesy of tucsoncitizen.com
Every school year for one semester, Cherry Hill East students are forced to go into the revolting East Gym locker rooms and put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for forty minutes of “physical activity.” For that short period of time, some students are going full out while some are standing around doing nothing. Either way, the student earns two and a half credits.
Physical Education should not be required for all four years of high school. While it may give students a good workout and a break from schoolwork, there are many more important classes and options for students to take.
It is understandable for schools to require ninth and tenth graders to have to participate in Physical Education, also known as P.E.; however, in eleventh grade and twelfth grade, there are many more important classes to take that will help students in the real world. P.E. does not serve that kind of purpose.
Instead of taking P.E., juniors and seniors should take health for half of a year and then for the other half take an elective. P.E. is simply a waste of time and can be used for more important options.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in 2013, only 29 percent of students attended P.E. class daily. The other 71 percent were most likely taking other classes that would help in the long run.
While physical activity in children and adolescents improves strength and endurance, helps build healthy bones and muscles, helps control weight, reduces anxiety and stress and so on, many students do not partake in this activity, which therefore shows that to teens, P.E. is simply not important.
Students could be taking business classes instead of P.E., or even another AP elective. AP courses help students get into college while Physical Education does not.
In 2012, Michelle Obama instituted the “Let’s Move!” initiative, which was a tactic to help bring physical activity back into schools in order to help decrease the obesity level in America.
While P.E. may be a big factor in elementary school or middle school students’ lives, high school scholars have much more on the line with college and jobs.
Many people might think that Physical Education can be both fun and competitive, but at the same time, it could be taking away time during which high school students could focus on more important classes.