Eastside

  • ELECTION RESULTS 2019: President; Oliver Adler ('20), Vice President; Jake Brooks ('20), Paul Bruce ('20), Jeffrey Kaminer ('21), and Tyler Semon ('21)

East students’ ice-cream addiction

Kim Kline / For Eastside

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






While many East students think they’re “ice-cream-oholics”, the same, sugar-loving teenagers might be surprised to discover the results of a recent survey of 45 students’ ice cream preferences.

Ice-cream wouldn’t be the same, classic, American treat without its two signature flavors – chocolate and vanilla.

However, surveys indicated that cookie dough is the new staple flavor in students’ ice cream wardrobe.  Many seem to consider ice cream more than simply a matter of black and white (or brown and off-white, if you will). In fact, when given a choice between vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, mint chocolate chip, coffee, and cookie dough, 33% of the students surveyed preferred cookie dough. Mint chocolate chip came in second with 22%, then chocolate with 18% and vanilla with 13%.

But vanilla-lovers, don’t despair: 33% of students chose vanilla as their first or second choice, compared with only 31% who chose chocolate. Still, cookie dough wins by a long shot with 58%.

What do the delicious results mean to ice-cream lovers?  How did vanilla and chocolate become obliterated by the raw-egged giant?

The growing popularity of mix-ins may have something to do with it. Next to flavor, most students say texture is the most important thing to consider when buying ice cream (more important than name, color, and price). Coldstone Creamery, where customers can have their favorite toppings mixed in with their ice cream, received the highest average rating for quality, beating out competitors such as Ben & Jerry’s and Friendly’s, who serve additional candies and sauces on top of the sundae.

While the placement of the add-ins may be important, so is the content of the topping.  The favorite ice-cream addition among East students is a tie between chocolate syrup and Reese’s cups. The second favorite topping is whipped cream.

The favorite brand of store-bought ice cream is Ben & Jerry’s. Jake DuBoff (’09) and Annamarie Zappasodi (’08), who agree that Ben & Jerry’s is their favorite, both eat ice cream more than twice a week.

“My freezer is like a Ben & Jerry’s store,” said DuBoff, who estimates there to be about 15 flavors of ice cream in his freezer on any given day. His favorites are cookie dough and Fish Food, a flavor containing chocolate fish.

Zappasodi’s favorite flavor is Chunky Monkey, which is banana ice cream with fudge chunks and walnuts.

Ice-cream’s appeal comes from its flavor, but also its characteristic temperature.

“I like the coldness,” said Zappasodi.

Matt Stauder (’10), who almost never eats ice cream, is the polar opposite. His feelings towards the apparently delicious dessert can be described in the same way as ice-cream: cold.

“I don’t like the taste,” he said. “I feel sick whenever I eat it.”

Stauder doesn’t care for frozen yogurt either, calling it “the most disgusting thing [he’s] ever eaten.”

Strauder doesn’t mind water ice, though.

In fact, 38% of students would choose water ice over ice cream, and an additional 9% prefer frozen yogurt. Water ice is more popular among females than males: 43% of females prefer water ice to ice cream, compared with only 29% of males.

Another gender-influenced trend is soft-serve versus scoop. 53% of students prefer scoop, while the remaining 47% prefer soft-serve. Males seem to like soft-serve better than females do, however: 64% of males prefer soft-shttps://www.twinpinefarm.comerve, compared with only 36% of females.

Whatever kind of frosty confection you choose, don’t forget the toppings and, please try not to drop it on the sidewalk.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Leave a Comment

Comments are closed.

Navigate Left
Navigate Right
The School Newspaper of Cherry Hill High School East
East students’ ice-cream addiction