How to have a memorable “Staycation” this winter break
December 20, 2016
Winter break is almost upon us. Some will be off to more tropical destinations, while others may be headed to the ski slopes. No need to fret, however, if you will be staying right here in Cherry Hill. Below is a list of several nearby activities that will definitely relieve your boredom and make your “staycation” memorable without the hassle of traveling.
If it’s holiday-spirited exercise you are looking for, there are a number of things to do right here in our back yard. These include:
- Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest. This festival takes place close by in Philadelphia along the Delaware River. Events include outdoor ice skating, music, video games and food galore. There is even an indoor lodge where you can warm up after you skate. This is open through March 7, 2017. For details, check here.
- Chanukah on Ice. This annual holiday event takes place on December 24th this year at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees. During this event, you can ice skate to Chanukah songs and enjoy traditional Hanukkah foods like latkes and donuts. For more information, check here.
- The One-One Run. This outdoor event takes place on 1/1/17 in Haddonfield. There is distance for all fitness levels: a 5K run, 1-mile run/walk, and 10K run. By participating, you will not only be staying in shape, you will also be doing good, since the entry fee for this event helps support the Boys and Girls Club of Camden County. For information about the run, check here.
If taking in an exciting show or game puts you in the holiday spirit, then try one of these:
- Comcast Holiday Spectacular. This incredible 15-minute 3-D holiday-themed video display takes place on a huge 80×25 foot screen in the lobby of the Comcast Center in Philadelphia. For a preview of the video and schedule information, check here
- Macy’s Christmas Light Show. This show is a long-standing Philadelphia tradition is comprised of over 100,000 LED lights. The huge light show is free and takes place every two hours at Macys in Center City, Philadelphia. For more schedule information, check here
- Penn Men’s Basketball. Go to the Palestra, one of Philadelphia’s most exciting arena’s, on 12/28, to watch the Penn Quakers take on the Drexel Dragons, or on 12/30, to watch the Quakers play the Fairfield Stags. As an extra bonus, you will be able to see Penn Sophomore Guard Jake Silpe, a Cherry Hill East alumnus. For more information or to buy tickets, check out the website here.
If shopping and eating are more your thing, then consider these:
- Post-holiday Outlet Shopping at the Gloucester Premium Outlets. There is nothing like the thrill of a post-holiday sale. Gloucester Premium Outlets is only about 15 miles from Cherry Hill, has nearly 100 outlet stores, including Nike, Columbia, American Eagle and Pac Sun. For more information about the outlets, check here.
- Teen Holiday Camp at Sur La Table. This teen cooking camp meets at Sur La Table in the Promenade in Marlton from 2-4 pm each weekday during the week of 12/26. Teen campers will learn how to cook (and eat) recipes from around the world, and have the opportunity to meet other like-minded teens. Check here for additional information about the camp:
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour. Take a tour of Philadelphia, sampling cheese steaks, soft pretzels and other more unusual foods of Philadelphia. These tours start and finish around the historic Reading Terminal Market. For more information, check here.